Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is 4 too young for full time school? UK mums your experiences please


Is 4 too young for full time school? UK mums your experiences please?
In the UK all kids start full time school at 4 years old....my daughter is due to go to nursery in January and she's just 3...she'll get two terms of Nursery and then start school when she is just 4....it seems so little to go and spend all day at school. Other countries seem to send their kids later....what were your experiences? The nursey place are happy to have her attend for two hours a day...so thats not a big concern...I know you have to let them go in the end but its school next year Im a bit worried about.
Toddler & Preschooler - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
hey hun i think it completely differs with each child. It depends on how socially confident they are and how advanced they are. For example my daughter turns 4 on 13th September.. so she only starts part time nursery this year. Had she been born 2 weeks earlier she would have started nursery last year and starting reception class this year!! In my daughters case, she is totally ready to start full time. She has been attending playgroup since she was 2.5 years old and loves it. I'm disappointed she will only go part time but hopefully she'll go full time after Xmas. If you dont feel comfortable sending your daughter to nursery full time, can you not opt for a part time place? if not - then maybe look into playgroups in your area, they usually run for 3 hours each morning and are a great way to 'break your child in' easily! good luck hun xxxxxxx
2 :
Hello this september i have a 5 yr old and a 4 yr old starting school so my nerves will be on edge!!! I think 4 is ok if the child can go to the toilet dress themselves, my 2 kids can't wait i better hurry up and sew in their name tags. The 4 yr old is starting reception for the whole day. While my 5 yr old will be starting his first year at school. Then its only me and my 2 and half yr old at home. Good luck and don't worry
3 :
its not 2 early 2 start skool at 4. but when the chid turns 5, she MUST b in skool. i am studying CACHE Diploma in childcare and education
4 :
My parents are British and My sister and I were born in America so Sister started at 5 years old and I started when we lived near Sheffield so I started early. I had a minor case of dyslexia and I truely believe that starting early was what taught me how to deal with it so well. I think that if I had waited until 5 i would have picked up on alot of bad behaviors and I never would have been able to correct them. No one would ever tell that I have minor dyslexia if I never mentioned it. Not to mention the school that I went to in England was just so much better. I wish I could afford to go over to UK and let my daughter start a year early and have one year in those schools......But it does depend on the child. My daughter and most children of US parents are in Daycare fulltime so when they transition to school it isn't much of a shock. Maybe start her with 2 hours now but closer to when school starts maybe send her for longer days so it isn't much of a shock.



Read more discussion :